How to debug an IOTADebuggerVisualizer
Years ago, I wrote a few IOTADebuggerVisualizers. Looking at my code repository, this was in 2011. Back then, I've written a NSImage visualizer which allows one to visualize the cursor selected on the Mac OS X when debugging OS X applications through the IDE.
As it's been a while since I've debugged any IOTADebuggerVisualizers, I'm refreshing my skills by blogging this.
In order to debug an IOTADebuggerVisualizer, you'll need to run 2 copies of the Delphi/RAD Studio IDE.
- Start the Delphi/RAD Studio IDE.
- Load your IOTADebuggerVisualizer project.
- If it's already installed, uninstall it from Component, Install Packages, select the package and remove it.
- Place breakpoints in the IOTADebuggerVisualizer project, such as in the GetReplacementValue or the EvaluateComplete method.
- Run, Parameters, and set the Host Application as the Delphi IDE itself, for example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\bin\bds.exe
- Then, Run, run.
- In the new (or second) IDE, click Component, Install Packages, then click Add and select the IOTADebuggerVisualizer package.
- Go to Tools, Options, scroll down to Debugger Options, Visualizers, and ensure that the desired IOTADebuggerVisualizer is checked. If not, check it.
- Load a project, debug it, and your IOTADebuggerVisualizer should be activated.